Cold Calls: Stick to the Script
A UniFirst Canada Ltd. executive recently penned an article titled “Is Cold Calling Dead?” for The Canadian Business Journal. The article, featured in the publication’s May 2017 edition, took a look at the practice of cold-calling customers for sales and whether the practice is a lost art form in the era of smartphones and other new technologies.
Mark Burden, sales manager, Canada direct sales, UniFirst Canada Ltd., Oakville, Ontario, concluded in the article that the savvy salesperson will want to take advantage of the fact that most customers constantly have a phone by their side and are checking it regularly. How do you take advantage of this to connect with customers and potentially make sales? Have a plan and stick to a script, Burden suggests.
A properly memorized script provides the following benefits:
- The sales rep will say the right things in the right way
- Allows you to plan your responses to objections
- Takes the focus off of what you’re going to say since you’ve memorized it, so you can listen to what the customer is saying
- Gives focus and direction to the call
- Removes 90% of the fear of making the call in the first place
To read more of Burden’s thoughts on cold calling, click here.